This video shows how controversies
about how to bring up and treat childhood obesity. The link is provided here: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/stop-sugarcoating-child-obesity-ads-draw-controversy/story?id=15273638#.ULaeKIaHT9p.
After you watch the video you might choose one
side or the other. Was it right of this company to shame parents and children
into learning about treating obesity and for treating obesity? On the other
hand, is it better to teach children and parents in a neutral environment about
how to prevent childhood obesity? We, as health care providers, should be
concerned about the best interest of the children.
Taking the side of the
advertisements, they do present the reality of childhood obesity and its prevalence
in that community. The advertisements do catch the attention of audiences. The
cons to these advertisements are their impacts on audiences. They could result
to low self-esteem, shame and guilt. Another con to these advertisements is
that it does not provide a solution to obesity.
Without the advertisements, the pros
are that there is an environment that does not inflict shame and there is less
of a possibility of guilt. The cons to not having the advertisements are information
on the severity of childhood obesity is not getting to the target population. Also,
without the advertisements that target population will be unreached by the
information about the prevalence of childhood obesity.
Of course there is a line that
should not be crossed. The question is: where is that line? Has this company
crossed the line? The foundation of the matter is that childhood obesity exists
and it is on the increase in our nation and needs to be stopped.
Using children to get a point across is always controversial especially when it is dealing with childhood obesity and a child’s self-image. I believe the idea and thought process behind the campaign is valid and their intentions are not to inflict harm but help. Obesity is an epidemic that continues to rise each year and we need to explore every avenue to try and reduce this epidemic. These ads are meant to encourage parents to choose healthier eating habits and to have parents positively influence their children to live healthy lifestyles. I understand both sides of the controversy but are in favor of the ads and feel that in some instance shock value is necessary to get people talking about the issue at hand in order to realize there is a problem. Great controversial issue!
ReplyDeleteTracy Gannett-Bowes
Great job presenting both sides of this controversial topic. After watching the video, I feel that the primary intent is to gain the attention of the target population in order to illustrate how significant the problem of childhood obesity has become. No real change can or will be made towards reversing the childhood obesity epidemic if those who are primarily affected are not aware of the problem. Self-esteem in obese children tends to be low due to negative comments and poor treatment by their peers. Oftentimes, obese children do not reveal to their parents how badly teasing and taunting by their peers makes them feel, and this advertisement does a good job of bringing that issue to the forefront for parents. I do not believe that this video advertisement was developed to shame or embarrass parents and children regarding the childhood obesity crisis; instead, I think it is meant to provide them with information and an opportunity to actively take measures to reduce negative health behaviors that contribute to the problem.
ReplyDeleteI believe this very controversial. I'm undecided as to whether I feel this was a needed approach or had gone too far. I feel that no one should be stigmatized for their condition but we also shouldn't say that it's "OK". No one should be ridiculed for their weight but we also shouldn't say that it's ok to be 350lbs. I think in our effort to remove stigma and shame we've gone too far to the other side where we may in fact be sugar coating a little too much and that can lead to inaction. If there is no problem why do I need to change? I think we do need to inform the community of the crisis in our hands but we also need to be well prepared to help them with that crisis. Its wrong to criticize and point out a problem while not offering helpful solutions. Great topic!
ReplyDeleteI am not sure how I felt after watching the ads. At first, I thought maybe the citizens of Georgia needed a wakeup call. Then, I watched the video that followed entitled, “Childhood Obesity Linked to Working Moms.” As a working mother, I immediately took offense. Then, I started asking myself if it was true- do I feed my son healthy food? Do I take him out for exercise enough? My point being that although I took offense when I first heard the title of the video and was angry while I listened to it, thinking this is another way we mothers are blamed for “everything”, it still made me reflect on the reality of my situation. The video mentioned that meth use dropped 50% in Montana adolescents where similar in-your-face advertisements were used. It will be interesting to see if Georgia will provide the necessary support for parents who are ready to make changes.
ReplyDelete